Law Enforcement - Requalification Course (136 hours)
Course Number: AJ 66-350
7-Week Course - 6 Units
Timelines are subject to change without notice.
- Applications Available NOW! **Click on links below.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 16, 2018
- Course Start Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2018
Those eligible for the course must have successfully completed a California Basic Course. The Requalification Course Information document listed below includes a check-list with instructions to apply, please read this document first, before submitting your application to the Police Academy Office for enrollment.
This POST-certified, 136-hour minimum course serves two purposes:
- Three-Year Requalification* This course is available to individuals who have successfully completed a POST-certified Regular or Specialized Investigators' Basic Course, the Basic Course Waiver (BCW) process, or who have been awarded a POST Basic Certificate and have a three-year or longer break in service.
- Basic Course Waiver Examination (BCWE)
After an evaluation has been approved by POST, this course may be completed to meet the examination requirements for the BCW process, which consists of written and skill components.
*Six-Year Exception: Individuals who successfully completed a Regular Basic Course (RBC), Specialized Investigators' Basic Course (SIBC), or the Basic Course Waiver process on or after July 1, 1999 but who never served in a position for which a Regular or Specialized Investigators' Basic Course was required by law, may requalify by completing the POST Requalification Course one time within six years from the date of basic course or waiver process completion. After six years, those individuals must complete the appropriate basic course (RBC or SIBC) to requalify, regardless of when the Requalification Course was completed.
The Requalification Course includes portions of the Basic Course, which are:
- Most likely to rapidly change;
- Critical manipulative skills related to officer safety or civil liability in areas which persons are most likely to experience reduced proficiency; and
- Other related critical subjects.
The course meets every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings from 6:00PM-9:50PM and Saturdays from 8:00AM- 4:50PM
The training center is located at: Southwestern College Police Academy @ HEC, 8100 Gigantic Street, San Diego, CA 92154
For more information, contact the Police Academy Office at (619) 482-6462.
Hand deliver to the Police Academy Office or U.S. Mail application & supporting documents to:
Southwestern College Police Academy @ Otay Mesa HEC, 8100 Gigantic Street, San Diego, CA 92154.