What is Honors?: The Honors Program seeks to provide students who are both academically talented and highly motivated. The Honors Program is compatible with all academic majors. Successful participation in the Honors Program gives highly qualified students the ability to become skilled in their specific disciplines and the personal satisfaction of having met and accomplished the most innovative and challenging program available at Southwestern College.
How to Join Honors: You can join the Honors Program by enrolling in one or more courses designated with an honors section and completing an Honors Contract within the first four weeks of class. The contract is to be submitted to the Honors Office, Room 104A. For more information, contact Myriam Moody, Honors Coordinator, at email@example.com or Nicholas Nguyen, Honors Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entering freshman – Have an overall minimum GPA of 3.5 in all high school work.
Continuing student - Have completed a minimum of 12 units of
college-level courses with a GPA of 3.2 in all college work, and be
eligible for English 115.
- Provide copies of transcripts of previous academic work to the
Honors Counselor. Unofficial copies will be accepted. Entering freshman
should submit high school transcript; continuing students with
coursework outside SWC should submit college transcript.
- Must be eligible for English 115 and proficient in college-level reading.
Program Completion Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 15 units or more in Honors courses.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.2 in all Honors courses and a minimum overall GPA of 3.2
Course offerings very by semester:
- Enhanced admission opportunities to the most selective transfer institutions
- Increased scholarship opportunities
- Special recognition on transcript
- Intellectual growth and exploration of new ideas and concepts
- Increased learning opportunities through research, study and independent projects
- One-on-one mentoring from faculty members in the field of interest
- Networking opportunities with faculty and students at Southwestern College (SWC), 4-year institutions and graduate schools
- Career and employment networking opportunities