NEW! Click here for steps to apply for BOG Fee Waiver and Cal Grant
Click here to read the most recent California Dream Act Information.
The 2017-18 California Dream Act online application deadline to apply was March 2, 2017.
You can still apply for the BOG Fee Waiver here
The California Dream Act of 2011 became law through the passage of Assembly Bill AB 130 and AB 131.It allows AB540 students to apply for and receive several types of financial aid, including:
- Board of Governors' Fee Waiver (BOGFW)
- State financial aid, such as CalGrants and Chafee Grants
- Assistance from EOPS or CARE
- Private and institutionally-funded scholarships
To qualify as an AB540 student and be eligible for be eligible for Dream Act, AB130 and AB131 benefits, students must:
- Have attended a California high school for a minimum of three years.
- Graduate from a California high school or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED, also called General Educational Development test).
- Enroll in an accredited California institution of higher education.
- In the case of students without legal immigration status, fill out an affidavit stating that they have filed or will file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so.
- To get a Cal Grant, students must also meet all other Cal Grant eligibility criteria. For additional information on Cal Grant eligibility, click here.
If you have questions regarding whether or not you qualify for AB540 status, please go to the Admissions office or click here for their AB540 webpage. If you are already an AB540 student and have questions about your California Dream Act Application or eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
BOG Fee Waiver Information – Kathy Abara, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cal Grant Information – Claudia Gaitan, email: email@example.com
Did you know there is an ASO club for AB540 students? It's called IDEAS @ SWC (Improving Dreams, Equity, Access and Success). You can check it out on Facebook (Ideas At Swc ) or contact club advisor Javier Madrigal at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested.