Southwestern College’s Dental Hygiene Clinic is dedicated to providing oral hygiene care of the highest quality. Patients’ opinions are necessary for continuous improvement and to achieve this quality. All patients are encouraged to complete and return the Quality of Service Survey upon completion of care.
Standards of Patient Care – Quality Assurance
The Southwestern College Dental Hygiene Program, faculty, students, and staff are cognizant of, and uphold the following with respect to patient care:
I. Patient Rights for
- Confidentiality and respect
- Informed Consent
- Scope of treatment including risks and benefits
- Cost and length of treatment
- Quality and timely care
- Courteous and safe care
II. Dental Hygiene Code of Ethics
- Individual Autonomy and Respect for Human Beings : People have the right to be treated with respect
- Confidentiality: Respecting the privacy of client /patient information
- Societal Trust: Valuing client / patient trust
- Nonmaleficence: Providing services without harm
- Beneficence: Promote the well-being of individuals
- Justice and Fairness: Valuing justice and fairness in the distribution of healthcare
- Veracity: Accepting the obligation to tell the truth
III. Standards of Professional Responsibility
- To ourselves as individuals and professionals
- Avoiding deception and continually striving for knowledge and personal growth.
- Enhancing professional competencies in order to practice high standards of care.
- To family and friends - Supporting healthy lifestyles of others.
- To clients / patients - Providing oral health care using the high levels of professional knowledge, judgment and skills.
- To colleagues - Encouraging and supporting work environments that promote professional development.
- To employers and employees - Developing relationships that are honest, responsible and open.
- To the profession - Participating in the development and advancement of our profession.
- To the community and society - Recognizing and upholding the laws and regulations governing our profession.
- To scientific investigation - Conducting research that is valid and useful to clients / patients and society.
The above stated standards are reflected in the education and training process of students as they provide patient care throughout the two-year program.
Source: ADHA Code of Ethics www.adha.org