ALL LVN, LVN Step-Up, Independent Duty Corpsman (IDC) students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Version 5.
Passing Scores are as follows: LVN Step-Up & IDC – 62 or better (Also a Dosage Calculation Test with a score of 80 or better).
California licensed vocational nurses are eligible to apply for a one year LVN-ADN transition program. Credit toward first year ADN courses is granted upon evidence of licensure. Students take a transition course before joining the ADN class in the third semester.
The Step-Up Program provides basic education and experience in nursing which will qualify the graduate for an entry-level Registered Nurse position in health care agencies following licensure. A class of students is admitted each summer and completes the second year of the ADN program.
VN to ADN STEP-UP PROGRAM INFORMATION
The Step-Up Program provides basic education and experience in nursing to applicants who hold a current California VN license which will qualify the graduate for an entry-level Registered Nurse position in health care agencies following licensure. A class of students is admitted each summer and completes the second year of the ADN program.
Official transcripts from other colleges attended should be mailed directly to the college admissions department. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a certified credentials evaluation service before credit can be granted, and must be submitted at time of application to be used to meet program or graduation requirements. Quarter units are not equal to semester units. Transfer courses taken on the quarter system may not be equivalent to the required semester units.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: In addition to the pre-requisite requirements, applicants must provide evidence of the following qualifications at time of application:
- Copy of current California LVN license; Copy of VN Program Transcript.
- Verification of U.S. high school diploma or satisfactory score on the GED or other high school equivalency test. A college degree from a U.S. institution will meet this requirement.
- Demonstrate college-level math:
- placement into Math 65 on College math assessment process;
- a grade of “C” or higher in Math 60 or higher math course;
- an approved petition (forms available from the College Assessment Office)
- Demonstrate college-level reading:
- Result of “proficiency” on the College reading assessment process;
- a grade of “C” or higher in Rdg. 158, Engl 116 or equivalent reading course;
- an approved petition (forms available from the College Assessment Office);
- transcript indicating an earned associate or baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
- Work experience as an LVN:
- One year of recent work experience as an LVN in an acute or sub-acute setting;
- Graduation from an approved vocational nursing program within the past six months;
- Evidence of proficiency in nursing skills selected form those taught in the first year of the ADN program as tested by faculty.
- Four semester units of equivalent courses from an U.S. accredited institution. Required science courses taken at Southwestern College have pre-requisite courses of Biol 100, 101, Math 45 and Chem 100 or 170 or the equivalent.