Canvas via MySWC News
- Great news for students and faculty! On June 15, 2017, we enhanced the automated system to update your user profile and course information in the Canvas system every 2 hours! For more information, see the FAQs below.
Canvas via MySWC FAQs
Below are some common questions and answers pertaining to Canvas & MySWC:
- Q How do I access my Canvas content?
- A The Canvas system is accessible via the MySWC Portal. If you are a student or faculty, your personalized MySWC Portal page will display a Canvas section where you will find a direct link to the Canvas system, with no additional login required! There is also an SSO-enhanced Canvas button located at the top of your MySWC Portal page in the "Campus Apps" section (this button will allow you to see your current and prior Canvas courses, if available).
- Q STUDENTS: My class starts today, how fast can I get access to the Canvas class?
- A First, you must have been successfully added to the class in WebAdvisor. If so, you will normally be given access to the Canvas course within 2 hours. But, please keep in mind that it could take up to 24 hours to gain access.
- Q FACULTY: Since the automated system is sending data to Canvas on a regular basis, should I even bother with manually adding/removing students to/from my courses?
- A No, don't worry about it! There is no need to make manual changes to your courses since the system is running every 2 hours. In fact, you won't even find an option for that in your user list.
- Q I am able to login to the MySWC Portal, but I am getting an error message when I try to connect to Canvas. Is my account broken?
- A Please keep in mind that it could take up to 24 hours for your information to be transferred to the Canvas system. For example, if you are a student who just registered for a class today via WebAdvisor, you should be able to access Canvas by tomorrow. The same is true for faculty - if you just got assigned to a course today, you should have access by tomorrow. If it has been more than 24 hours, please contact the Online Learning Center for assistance.
- Q How often is course and user information sent to the Canvas system?
- A Data from our Student Information System (SIS) is automatically transmitted to the Canvas system on a regular basis. Normally, course and user profile information is processed by Canvas every 2 hours begining at 12am, then again at 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, and 10pm (all times are Pacific). Please note that any data transfer may be canceled if SIS maintenance is being performed or if system resources are extremely low. In these cases, any changes will take place during the the next successful transfer. See the next FAQ for detailed information about the process.
- Q What is the process that sends data to the Canvas system?
- A Warning, this answer may be a bit too technical ... Every 2 hours, our Student Information System (SIS) looks for any changes to your user account (i.e. name, email address, etc.) and course enrollments (i.e. adding or dropping a course) since the last time the process ran. If it finds any changes, the SIS saves those changes to files and then moves them to a secure server (this part can take up to 30 minutes or so). At the top of the next hour, Canvas connects to that secure server, retrieves the files, and then processes them to make the changes in the Canvas system.
So, for example, you are a student who adds a course in WebAdvisor at 12:15pm. The SIS will notice the change in your course enrollments at 1:45pm, then saves the data to files. Those files get moved to the secure server. Canvas then connects to that secure server at 2pm, grabs the files and processes the changes, usually within 15 minutes or so. So, by 2:15pm the changes that you made in WebAdvisor at 12:15pm will be reflected in the Canvas system. Basically, within 2 hours, you will be able to access your Canvas course.
- Q What if I need additional help or have more questions?
- A If you need additional help or have more questions, visit the Online Learning Center.
MySWC Help & Information